Dr. Chrissy Cheretakis, DMD, PhD, FRCD(C) is very enthusiastic about her work as an orthodontist, she delights in getting to know her patients to help her determine what treatment plan suits them best. Providing exceptional patient care in a friendly and comfortable environment is at the center of her focus as an orthodontist.
Get to know
Dr. Chrissy Cheretakis
DMD, PhD, FRCD(C)
Dr. Cheretakis graduated from University of Montreal with a Doctorate of Dental Medicine (DMD) and an award granted by the Ordre des Dentistes du Quebec for academic excellence. She then went on to complete a General Practice Residency at the Montreal Children’s Hospital of the McGill University Health Center. Immediately after her residency, she pursued her Specialty Certificate in Orthodontics at the University of Toronto while simultaneously carrying out a PhD degree in the medical fields of hematology, immunology and bone marrow transplantation in children at the Toronto Sick Kids Hospital. The Canadian Institute of Health Research awarded Dr. Cheretakis with a prestigious Fellowship grant to fund her research studies. The results of her work contributed to improving the outcome of bone marrow transplantation treatment in children. She summarized her innovative research in highly rated peer-reviewed medical publications. She was an associate professor of Orthodontics at McGill University and currently serves as a member and examiner for the Royal College of Dentists Canada an organization that inspires excellence in dental specialties across Canada. She examines new orthodontic graduates to ensure the integrity of the profession is maintained across Canada.
Staying active and spending time with friends and family is an important part of her life. Working towards being healthy and fit helps Dr. Cheretakis stay sharp and focused on her work. Her passion for running has led her to participate in a few half marathons and she hopes to one day complete a full marathon as well. Her closeness to her family and being a devoted mother helps her better understand and relate to the needs of the parents and children that seek her help in improving their smiles. Ask her anything about orthodontics and she will always make sure to answer your question with genuine enthusiasm and in a manner that is easy to understand.
Awards and honors
- Clinical research initiatives fellowship, Canadian Institute of Health Research (CIHR) (2005-2008)
- Harron scholarship, University of Toronto faculty of dentistry (2005-2008)
- University of Toronto research training fellowship CIHR Strategic training program (2003-2008)
- University of Toronto research fellowship (2004-2006)
- Award for best overall postgraduate research presentation, Toronto academy of dentistry annual meeting (2004-2006)
- Southern Ontario surgical orthodontics study club award (2008)
- Edward H. Hatton Award, International Association of Dental Research (IADR), 84th general session, Brisbane, Australia (2006)
- Unilever travel award, International Association of Dental Research (IADR), 84th general session, Brisbane, Australia (2006)
- CADR/IMHA Student research award, Canadian Association for Dental Research (CADR) and the Institute of Musculoskeletal Health and Arthritis (IMHA) (2006)
- CADR/IMHA Student research award (2005)
- Ontario graduate scholarship, Government of Ontario (2005)
- Award for best overall postgraduate research presentation, University of Toronto faculty of dentistry (2002)
- Prix Joseph Nolin for academic excellence, Quebec order of dentists (2002)
- Academic achievement award, Quintessence publishing company (2002)
- Hellenic graduate award of excellence, Montreal hellenic board of trade (2001)
- Clinical excellence recognition, University of Montreal faculty of dentistry (2001)
- Academic excellence recognition, University of Montreal faculty of dentistry (2001)
- Lemieux G, Hart A, Cheretakis C, Goodmurphy C, Trexler S, Retrouvey J-M. Computed Tomographic characterization of mini-Implant insertion pattern and maximum anchorage force in human cadavers. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2011; Sep; 140(3):356-65.
- Ho W, Cheretakis C, Dr..urie P, Kulkarni P, Glogauer M. Prevalence of oral diseases in Shwachman-Diamond syndrome. Spec Care Dent. 2007; Mar-Apr;27(2):52-8.Canadian Association of Orthodontists
- Cheretakis C, Locker D, Dr..or Y, Glogauer M. Oral health-related quality of life of children with neutropenia. Spec Care Dent. 2007; Jan-Feb;27(1):6-11.
- Cheretakis C, Leung R, Sun Chun Xiang, Dr..or Y, Glogauer M. Timing of neutrophil tissue repopulation predicts restoration of innate immune protection in a murine bone marrow transplantation model. Blood. 2006;108:2821-2826.
- Cheretakis C, Dr..or Y, Glogauer M. A noninvasive oral rinse assay to monitor engraftment, neutrophil tissue delivery and susceptibility to infection following HSCT in pediatric patients. Bone Marrow Transplant. 2005; 36:227-232.
Running and talking to her kids
Grilled cheese sandwich
Things that are not straight!
We provide modern orthodontic care and aim to make every appointment fun and educational.
Please call us if you have any questions, or schedule a consultation for a one-on-one meeting with Dr. Cheretakis to discuss your needs and concerns and find out which treatment is right for you.